HARRISBURG – Fourteen local fire and ambulance agencies across the 187th District will receive more than $180,000 to help with keeping communities safe, said Rep. Gary Day (R-Lehigh/Berks).
“Our local first response volunteers spend an increasing amount of time raising funds just to keep their doors open, as their expenses are rising as well,” said Day, a member of the House Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee. “This grant program, which has been providing thousands of dollars in grants for more than 15 years, has relieved some of this financial burden and has allowed our volunteers to spend more time training for emergencies. I can’t thank these men and women enough for all they do to protect life and property.”
Day stressed that the grants are funded with gaming proceeds and not General Fund tax revenue.
The funding is part of the Pennsylvania Fire and Volunteer EMS Grant Program, which allows local organizations to use the money for a variety of uses, including the construction or renovation of a fire company or ambulance service’s primary structure; purchase or repair of firefighting, ambulance or rescue equipment; training; or debt reduction.
The following fire and EMS companies in the Lehigh County portion of the 187th District to receive grant funding include:
• Cetronia Ambulance Corps Inc., $7,037.
• Cetronia Fire Company No. 1, $15,000.
• Community Fire Company of New Tripoli, $14,123.
• Community Fire Company No. 1 of North Whitehall Township, $12,280.
• Fogelsville Volunteer Fire Company, $14,860.
• Goodwill Fire Company 1 Inc. (Germansville), $13,570.
• Goodwill Fire Company No. 1 of Trexlertown, $15,000.
• Laurys Station Volunteer Fire Company, $12,096.
• Neffs Volunteer Fire Company, $13,939.
• Northern Valley Emergency Medical Services Inc., $7,037.
• Upper Macungie Township Station No. 56 Inc., $15,000.
The following fire companies in the Berks County portion of the 187th District to receive grant funding include:
• Kempton Fire Company Inc., $13,939.
• Kutztown Volunteer Fire Department, $13,570.
• Lyons Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, $12,649.
Representative Gary Day
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Jennifer Keaton